Nartiang was once the summer capital of the Jaintia kings, and today tourists and devotees from all across the globe visit here to bestow witness to this ancient culture and religion.
The Durga Temple at Nartiang stands today as a confirmation of the Hindu heritage of this kingdom. The original structure of the temple has been revamped, but one can still see the idols, altar and swords which were used centuries ago to offer sacrifice to the goddess.
There is also a Shiv Temple. The market of Nartiang also has a legend associated to it, about a man named U Mar Phalyngki, who had carried a large slab from Raliang market to Nartiang. Today, one can find this same market at Nartiang, standing alongside a large bunch of monoliths. Tourists love to visit this market and see the tribal men and women sitting under small thatched structures selling fruits, vegetables, local delicacies and cane baskets.
On the way to Nartiang, there is the beautiful Thadlaskein Lake. Boating in this lake on a calm evening, with the pleasant breeze blowing across your face is a delightful experience.The best way to reach Nartiang is to book a tourist cab from Shillong.
Monolith is a symbol of remembrance in the Jaintia Hills of Meghalaya. The cluster of monoliths erected to mark the reign of the erstwhile Jaintia King is a significant event in the history of Meghalaya. This cluster of monoliths is found in Nartiang, a village about 22 km from Jowai, the district headquarters of Jaintia Hills and about 60 km from Shillong. Jaintia is a tribe in Meghalaya which predominate the Jaintia Hills District.
The site has been declared of national importance under the Ancient Monument and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act 1958 (24 of 1958). The site can be literally called a garden of monoliths. These monoliths cover a wide complex of about 100 metres in diameter. The menhirs are locally known as Ki Moo Shynrang, and dolmens are known as Ki Moo Kynthai. Moo Iong Syiem, the tallest and biggest of the monoliths, is about 8 metres high, 2 metres in breadth and half metres in thickness. It was erected by U mar Phalyngki, a trusted lieutenant of the Jaintia kings. The followers of the erstwhile Jaintia Kings U Marphalangki and U Luh Lyngshkor Lamare erected the other monoliths in the early 17th century.
In ancient times Nartiang used to be the summer capital of the Jaintia rulers, who spent about 6 months here. Some scholars say that these monoliths were erected in memory of the establishment of the market from Raliang to Nartiang